WHAT IS OCULOPLASTY?
Oculoplasty is the art and science of plastic surgery around the eye. The eyeball is a delicate structure, protected from harm by eyelids in front and the bony cup (socket) behind. Behind the eyeball run the nerves , arteries and muscles, which carry messages to the brain, move the eyeball, and provide nutrition to the eye. Oculoplasty deals with all these structures surrounding the eyeball.
WHY SHOULD AN EYE SURGEON DO PLASTIC SURGERY?
Oculoplastic surgeons first train as ophthalmologists, when they learn in details about the eye. During further higher training, they start to handle plastic surgery. They have the best knowledge about the eye and its surrounding; as eye surgeons, they are also ready to handle the most delicate of structures. This combination of skills makes the oculoplastic surgeons the best to do plastic surgery around the eye.
Oculoplastic surgery is the cosmetic, corrective and reconstructive surgery of the eye, the eyelids, the tear ducts and the orbit. There are Ophthalmic plastic surgeons, highly specialized and trained in plastic surgery performing procedures which include:
- Repair of droopy eyelids
- Repair of tear duct obstructions
- Orbital fracture repairs
- Removal of tumoursin and around the eye
- Blepharoplasty (Eyelift)
- Eyelids turning in or out (Entropion / Ectropion)
- Excessive watering due to tear duct or tear sac problems
- Growths or Tumours (Cancer of Eye)
- Excessive blinking or uncontrollable eye closure
- Excessive wrinkles / skin folds around eyes (Cosmesis)
- Paralysis affecting the face
- Anophthalmia – Loss of eye due to injury or infection wherein artificial eye fitting is needed, to improve appearance